I started out the day convinced that I knew what I wanted to do. I would take advantage of my boss’s offer and work part-time from home. And then…
Spoke to a dear friend, a family member and a complete stranger, and they all had the same advice: if you have the opportunity to take a break from work to pursue your dream career, take it.
That certainly puts things into perspective, doesn’t it?
I have been asked to draft a Pros and Cons list of quitting for a year. Here is my attempt at putting everything on the table.
- I get the opportunity to work on my business ideas. Self-fulfillment!
- I get to raise my kid
- I get time at home to tackle long-ignored house projects (perfectly organized basement anyone?)
- Potential to make more money by focusing on my business ideas, and perhaps not have to go back to work at all
- Full schedule flexibility
- Think it was hard to go back after 4 months? It will be 3x harder to go back after 12.
- I lose out on the stock options at my job
- No income means watching our expenses and being frugal
- Feeling like I gave up and I’m taking the “easy” way out. Feeling lazy. Like a failure.
- Potentially spending a lot of time alone at home.
Got some things to figure out.